Has it been a year or more since you last compared quotes for low-cost car insurance rates in Portsmouth, OH? If you're new to shopping for Portsmouth car insurance quotes online, most likely you are bewildered by the vast assortment insurance agents and companies that all promise the best rates.
Inconceivable but true, over 70% of drivers have been with the same company for four years or more, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared car insurance rates at all. Most drivers in Ohio could cut their rates by approximately $730 a year by just comparing quotes, but they underestimate the benefits if they switched.
Shopping for cheaper protection in Portsmouth is simple if you know the tricks. Virtually every person who buys insurance will more than likely get a lower-priced policy. But Ohio vehicle owners benefit from understanding the methods companies use to price insurance differently and use this information to your advantage.
Auto insurance providers offering competitive rates in Ohio
The companies shown below are ready to provide quotes in Ohio. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$964||$482||$80|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$528||$264||$44|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$722||$361||$60|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 2WD||$700||$350||$58|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$842||$421||$70|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 2WD||$624||$312||$52|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$604||$302||$50|
|Ford Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$808||$404||$67|
|GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$644||$322||$54|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$992||$496||$83|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$600||$300||$50|
|Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$834||$417||$70|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$722||$361||$60|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,046||$523||$87|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$656||$328||$55|
|Toyota Corolla S||$748||$374||$62|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 2WD||$604||$302||$50|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, and claim-free. Rate information does not factor in Portsmouth location which can decrease or increase coverage prices greatly.
Gender-based car insurance premiums
The chart below shows the comparison of insurance costs for male and female drivers in Portsmouth. The price estimates are based on no claims, a clean driving record, full coverage, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no policy discounts are applied on a Hyundai Sonata Limited.
Hyundai Sonata rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Car insurance rates are higher with tickets and accidents
The example below highlights how traffic violations and at-fault claims increase Honda Civic insurance rates for different age groups. The prices are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Honda Civic rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Save with these discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don't always advertise every discount they offer very clearly, so the following list contains a few of the more common as well as the least known credits available to you.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS and/or traction control are much safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts can save 10% or more off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Life Insurance - Larger companies have a small discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
- Good Grades Discount - Excelling in school can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- Drivers Education - Have your child enroll in driver's education as it can save substantially.
- Portsmouth Homeowners Discount - Just owning your own home can help you save on auto insurance because of the fact that having a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Insuring several vehicles on one policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Club Memberships - Participating in a professional or civic organization may earn a discount on your next auto insurance statement.
- Distant College Student Discount - Older children living away from Portsmouth attending college and do not take a car to college could get you a discount.
- Defensive Driver Discounts - Passing a course in defensive driving could cut 5% off your bill and easily recoup the cost of the course.
You should keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So when the math indicates having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you aren't that lucky.
To choose insurers offering auto insurance discounts in Portsmouth, click this link.
Can't I compare prices from local Portsmouth car insurance agents?
Many drivers still prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is a smart decision One of the benefits of comparing auto insurance online is you can get cheap auto insurance rates but also keep your business local. Putting coverage with neighborhood agents is definitely important in Portsmouth.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, your insurance data is immediately sent to companies in Portsmouth who will gladly provide quotes for your coverage. You won't need to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. You can find better rates AND an agent nearby. If you have a need to get a price quote from one company in particular, just visit that company's website and complete a quote there.
Insurance agent types
When researching a reliable insurance agency, it helps to know the two types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance agents in Portsmouth are classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents can sell policies from many different companies so they have the ability to put coverage with many different companies and get you the best rates possible. If premiums increase, your agent can switch companies and you don't have to switch agencies. If you need lower rates, we highly recommend that you include at a minimum one independent agency to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most also have access to small regional insurance companies which can be an advantage.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents write business for a single company like State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. These agents are not able to compare rates from other companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive insurance agents are well trained on what they offer which aids in selling service over price. Drivers often choose to use an exclusive agent primarily because of high brand loyalty rather than low rates.
Picking an car insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Ohio?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Portsmouth?
- How many years have they been established?
Be skeptical of insurance ads
Big name companies like State Farm, GEICO and Progressive constantly bombard you with ads on television and other media. They all seem to state the claim about how much you will save if you get a free Portsmouth car insurance quote and switch your policy. How is it plausible that every one can offer you a better deal on insurance? Here is the trick they use.
All the different companies have an ideal profile for a prospective insured that will not have excessive claims. A good example of a desirable risk could be between the ages of 30 and 50, has never had a policy lapse, and drives less than 10,000 miles a year. Any new insured that hits that "sweet spot" will get a cheap rate quote in Portsmouth and therefore will save if they switch.
Drivers who do not fit the requirements may receive a more expensive rate which usually ends up with business not being written. The ads state "drivers who switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" save the amount stated. That's why companies can truthfully make claims that they all have the best car insurance rates.
This really illustrates why you should get Portsmouth car insurance quotes as often as possible. It's impossible to know with any certainty which company will provide you with the cheapest insurance in Portsmouth.
Cheaper insurance premiums are possible
When shopping online for insurance, it's a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The ultimate goal is to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Drivers switch companies for any number of reasons including delays in paying claims, unfair underwriting practices, high rates after DUI convictions or even delays in responding to claim requests. It doesn't matter why you want to switch switching companies is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Budget-friendly insurance in Portsmouth is available online and from local agencies, and you need to comparison shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance providers may not offer price quotes online and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent agencies.
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Ohio Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota Camry? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Car Insurance in Youngstown, Ohio? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Handicapped Drivers in Ohio? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for College Graduates in Ohio? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with a DUI in Ohio? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Good Drivers in Ohio? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Drivers Requiring a SR22 in Ohio? (FAQ)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Airbag FAQ (iihs.org)
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)