Pretty sure you bought an underperforming, overpriced auto insurance policy? You're in good company because there are lots of Gahanna residents who feel the same.
Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that most auto insurance policyholders in Ohio have stayed with the same insurance company for more than four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared rates to find lower-cost insurance. With the average premium in the United States being $1,847, drivers can save about $850 each year, but they don't want to spend time to compare rate quotes online. Multiple insurers compete to insure your vehicles, so it can be very hard to choose a company and get the best coverage at the cheapest price on auto insurance.
Car insurance companies in Ohio
The car insurance companies shown below can provide free quotes in Ohio. If several companies are displayed, it's a good idea that you click on several of them to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Regular Cab 2WD||$848||$424||$71|
|Dodge Grand Caravan CV||$638||$319||$53|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$704||$352||$59|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$496||$248||$41|
|Ford F-150 XLT Regular Cab 2WD||$822||$411||$69|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,092||$546||$91|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$566||$283||$47|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$678||$339||$57|
|Honda Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$762||$381||$64|
|Honda Odyssey LX||$718||$359||$60|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$730||$365||$61|
|Nissan Rogue S AWD||$834||$417||$70|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,038||$519||$87|
|Toyota Corolla S||$618||$309||$52|
|Toyota RAV4 2WD||$668||$334||$56|
|Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$746||$373||$62|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and safe-driver. Price estimates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can modify auto insurance rates significantly.
Physical damage deductible comparison
When shopping for car insurance, a common question is where should you set your physical damage deductibles. The figures shown below sum up how much more rates are when you choose different policy deductibles. The first set of rates uses a $100 deductible for physical damage and the second price chart uses a $500 deductible.
Nissan Altima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$196||$352||$226||$14||$68||$881||$73|
|Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$196||$416||$226||$14||$68||$945||$79|
|Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$220||$416||$226||$14||$68||$969||$81|
|Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$220||$416||$256||$16||$76||$1,009||$84|
|Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$220||$416||$226||$14||$68||$969||$81|
|Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$220||$478||$256||$16||$76||$1,071||$89|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$142||$238||$226||$14||$68||$688||$57|
|Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$142||$280||$226||$14||$68||$730||$61|
|Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$160||$280||$226||$14||$68||$748||$62|
|Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$160||$280||$256||$16||$76||$788||$66|
|Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$160||$280||$226||$14||$68||$748||$62|
|Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$160||$324||$256||$16||$76||$832||$69|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, and homeowner. Information does not factor in specific zip code location which can increase or decrease price quotes considerably.
We can estimate from the data above that using a $100 deductible will cost you roughly $18 more each month or $216 every year than requesting the higher $500 deductible. Since you would pay $400 more if you file a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you tend to go at a minimum 22 months between claim filings, you would probably be better off going with the higher deductible.
Calculation for raising deductibles
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$81|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||- $63|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$18|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 - $100):||$400|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$400 / $18|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||22 months|
One important caveat is that higher deductibles means you will have to pay more of your own money if you have a claim. You need some extra savings in order to pay more for the deductible.
Get cheaper car insurance with discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don't always advertise every possible discount very well, so the following list contains both well-publicized and the more hidden credits that may apply to you. If you do not check that you are getting every discount available, you could be getting lower rates.
- Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may get savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- Discount for Swiching Early - Select companies give a discount for signing up early. You may see this discount when you get Gahanna auto insurance quotes online.
- Seat Belts Save - Requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- College Student Discount - Kids who are attending college and don't have a car could qualify for this discount.
- Defensive Driver - Passing a defensive driver class can save you 5% or more and also improve your driving technique.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - Not really a discount, but some companies like Allstate and Progressive allow you one accident before your rates go up if your claims history is clear prior to being involved in the accident.
A little note about advertised discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, car insurance companies aren't that generous.
For a list of car insurance companies who offer discounts in Gahanna, click here.
Lower Gahanna car insurance premiums
Lots of factors are used when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, but other criteria are less obvious such as your marital status or your commute time. Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that go into determining car insurance rates. If you understand what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could help you find much lower annual insurance costs.
- Save mileage and save money - The higher the mileage driven annually the higher the price you pay to insure it. Almost all companies rate vehicles based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Vehicles not used for work or commuting get more affordable rates than those used for commuting. Ask your agent if your declarations sheet is rated on the correct driver usage.
- Your career may increase rates - Occupations such as fire fighters, police officers, and financial analysts tend to pay the highest average rates attributed to intense work situations and lots of time spent away from family. On the flip side, jobs like farmers, historians and retirees have the lowest average rates.
- Save by driving vehicles with better crash test results - Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have lower insurance rates. Vehicles engineered for safety have better occupant injury protection and fewer serious injuries means your insurance company pays less and lower rates for you.
- Guys pay more for insurance - Statistics have proven that females tend to be a little less risky than males. It does not mean females are better at driving than males. Women and men are in auto accidents at a similar rate, but guys cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also statistically get cited for more serious violations like reckless driving and DUI. Teenage male drivers tend to get in the most accidents and therefore pay the highest rates.
- Only buy what you need - There are a lot of extra bells and whistles that may not really be needed on your policy. Add-on coverages like rental car reimbursement, accident forgiveness, and membership fees could be just wasting money. You may think they are a good idea when you first buy your policy, but if you've never needed them in the past get rid of them and save.
Different people need different insurance coverages
When it comes to choosing coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there really isn't a "perfect" insurance plan. Everyone's situation is a little different.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- Does coverage extend to my business vehicle?
- Are combined or split liability limits better?
- Am I covered if I break a side mirror?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Should I bundle my homeowners policy with my auto?
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
If it's difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Compare rate quotes but work with a local neighborhood Gahanna car insurance agent
Some people would prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that can be a great decision Good insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and help submit paperwork. One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find the best rates and still choose a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your insurance data is immediately sent to local insurance agents who will give you quotes for your coverage. There is no need to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide. If you have a need to compare rates from one company in particular, don't hesitate to visit that company's website to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing a company is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- How are claims handled?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Ohio?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
Quote more and you will save more
Cheap auto insurance in Gahanna can be purchased from both online companies and with local Gahanna insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. Some insurance providers may not have internet price quotes and usually these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
We've covered some good ideas how to find cheaper coverage online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting low cost Gahanna auto insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best premium rates are with the least-expected company.
People who switch companies do it for many reasons like questionable increases in premium, extreme rates for teen drivers, high rates after DUI convictions and delays in responding to claim requests. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new company can be easier than you think.
Other learning opportunities
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Beavercreek, OH? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for College Students in Ohio? (FAQ)
- Parking Tips to Reduce Door Dings (State Farm)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)