How long has it been since you compared low-cost auto insurance rates in Troy, OH? Pricey auto insurance in Troy can bottom out your checking account and maybe even restrict other spending. Getting a rate comparison can save money and help to ensure you are getting the best deal.
Sad but true, nearly 70% of customers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for a minimum of four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never even compared rates from other companies. American insurance shoppers could cut their rates by almost $859 a year just by shopping around, but they won't spend time to shop their coverage around.
Insurance companies such as State Farm and GEICO constantly bombard you with advertising and consumers find it hard to avoid their marketing magic and do the work needed to find the best deal.
You need to do rate comparisons as often as possible since rates are rarely the same from one policy term to another. If you had the lowest rate on auto insurance a year ago the chances are good that you can find a lower price today. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to the quickest way to find better coverage on auto insurance at a better price.
If you have coverage now, you will surely be able to reduce premiums using this strategy. Locating the best insurance company for you in Troy is easy if you know what you're doing. But Ohio car owners can benefit from knowing the way companies market on the web and use this information to your advantage.
The quickest method we recommend to compare insurance rates in your area is to understand most larger insurance companies provide online access to give free rates quotes. The one thing you need to do is provide a little information such as if you require a SR-22, your job, types of safety features, and distance driven. Your rating data is instantly submitted to multiple top-rated companies and they return rate quotes quickly.
To check car insurance prices now, click here and complete the quick form.
The providers in the list below can provide quotes in Ohio. If multiple companies are shown, it's highly recommended you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$780||$390||$65|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$986||$493||$82|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SXT||$706||$353||$59|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 4WD||$626||$313||$52|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$666||$333||$56|
|Ford F-150 FX2 Super Cab 2WD||$556||$278||$46|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$874||$437||$73|
|Ford Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$738||$369||$62|
|GMC Sierra SL Crew Cab 2WD||$850||$425||$71|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$760||$380||$63|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$582||$291||$49|
|Honda Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$820||$410||$68|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$792||$396||$66|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$920||$460||$77|
|Toyota Camry SE||$714||$357||$60|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$868||$434||$72|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, multi-policy, and claim-free. Information does not factor in garaging location in Troy which can decrease or increase prices considerably.
Violations and accidents raise rates
The example below illustrates how violations and at-fault accidents can raise Honda Accord auto insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. The information is based on a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Honda Accord rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Raise deductibles and save
A question often asked by Troy drivers is where to set your physical damage deductibles. The following tables summarize the differences in premium rates when you choose different policy deductibles. The first set of prices uses a $250 physical damage deductible and the second set of rates uses a $1,000 deductible.
Honda Pilot rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Pilot LX 2WD||$176||$242||$226||$14||$68||$751||$63|
|Pilot EX 2WD||$198||$242||$226||$14||$68||$773||$64|
|Pilot EX 4WD||$198||$242||$226||$14||$68||$773||$64|
|Pilot EX-L 2WD||$198||$296||$226||$14||$68||$827||$69|
|Pilot EX-L 4WD||$198||$296||$226||$14||$68||$827||$69|
|Pilot Touring 2WD||$198||$296||$226||$14||$68||$827||$69|
|Pilot Touring 4WD||$198||$296||$226||$14||$68||$827||$69|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Pilot LX 2WD||$108||$152||$226||$14||$68||$568||$47|
|Pilot EX 2WD||$122||$152||$226||$14||$68||$582||$49|
|Pilot EX 4WD||$122||$152||$226||$14||$68||$582||$49|
|Pilot EX-L 2WD||$122||$186||$226||$14||$68||$616||$51|
|Pilot EX-L 4WD||$122||$186||$226||$14||$68||$616||$51|
|Pilot Touring 2WD||$122||$186||$226||$14||$68||$616||$51|
|Pilot Touring 4WD||$122||$186||$226||$14||$68||$616||$51|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Above prices assume married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Prices do not factor in specific Troy garaging location which can raise or lower coverage rates considerably.
Based on the data above, we can derive that using a $250 deductible would cost the average driver about $17 more each month or $204 every year than selecting the higher $1,000 deductible. Since the policyholder would be required to pay $750 more if you file a claim with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you have at least 44 months between claim filings, you would probably come out ahead if you choose a higher deductible.
How to calculate if higher deductibles make sense
|Average monthly premium for $250 deductibles:||$67|
|Average monthly premium for $1,000 deductibles (subtract):||- $50|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$17|
|Difference between deductibles ($1,000 - $250):||$750|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$750 / $17|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||44 months|
Discounts for cheaper car insurance rates
Some companies don't always advertise all their discounts very well, so the list below details both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious savings tricks you should be using when you buy Troy auto insurance online.
- Student in College - Children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Troy and don't have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Anti-theft Discount - Cars and trucks optioned with advanced anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers - Insureds without accidents can save as much as half off their rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Cars that have air bags can receive discounts up to 30%.
- Active Military Service - Being on active duty in the military could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Membership in Organizations - Participating in specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could trigger savings when shopping for car insurance.
While discounts sound great, it's important to understand that some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Even though it appears you could get a free car insurance policy, you won't be that lucky.
Popular car insurance companies and their offered discounts are:
- Farm Bureau policyholders can earn discounts including driver training, safe driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and renewal discount.
- State Farm may offer discounts for good driver, accident-free, multiple policy, Steer Clear safe driver discount, Drive Safe & Save, and multiple autos.
- Progressive offers discounts for online signing, online quote discount, multi-policy, good student, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, and homeowner.
- Allstate may include discounts for auto/life discount, economy car, 55 and retired, premier discount, and eSmart discount.
- Nationwide offers discounts including easy pay, accident-free, family plan, multi-policy, good student, and business or organization.
- MetLife has savings for claim-free, accident-free, defensive driver, good student, multi-policy, good driver
If you need inexpensive Troy auto insurance quotes, ask every company the best way to save money. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policies in Troy. To find insurance companies that offer the discounts shown above in Ohio, click here to view.
When should I get advice from an insurance agency?
Some consumers would prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases The biggest benefit of comparing auto insurance online is you may find better rates and still have a local agent.
Upon completion of this simple form, your insurance coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents in Troy that can provide free Troy auto insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to leave your house as quotes are delivered directly to your email. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND a local agent. If you need to get a rate quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you just need to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Selecting an provider is decision based upon more than just a cheap price quote. The following questions are important to ask.
- How often do they review coverages?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- How long has the business existed?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Ohio?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
When finding local Troy agents, there are a couple of different agency structures and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents in Troy are either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type work for only one company such as State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. These agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so it's a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive insurance agents are well schooled on their company's products which helps them compete with independent agents.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel are normally appointed by many insurers so they can write business with a variety of different insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. If your agent finds better pricing, they can switch companies in-house and you don't have to switch agencies. When comparing rate quotes, we highly recommend that you include at least one independent agent so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
When it comes to adequate coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Your needs are unique to you and your policy should reflect that. These are some specific questions may help you determine whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- Can I get a multi-policy discount?
- Do I have coverage if I rent a car in Mexico?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Am I insured when driving a different vehicle?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Does coverage extend to my business vehicle?
- What is the ISO rating for a vehicle?
- Does low annual mileage earn a discount?
- Can I cancel at any time?
If it's difficult to answer those questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
You have control over your insurance premiums
Lots of things are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. A few of the factors are predictable like an MVR report, but some are less apparent like your vehicle usage or your commute time.
An active insurance claims history can cost you - If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims don't be surprised to see increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Auto insurance companies in Ohio award the best rates to people who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
Drivers with excellent credit save - Having a bad credit score factor in calculating your insurance rates. If your credit can be improved, you could pay less to insure your vehicle by improving your rating. Insureds with high credit scores tend to be better risks to insure as compared to drivers with poor credit.
Save by driving less - The higher the mileage driven every year the higher your rate. Most companies calculate rates based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Vehicles used primarily for pleasure use receive lower rates than those that get driven frequently. Ask your agent if your vehicle rating shows the correct driver usage.
Single drivers may pay higher prices - Your spouse may earn you lower rates on your insurance bill. Marriage demonstrates that you tend to be more mature and it's proven that being married results in fewer claims.
Expect high rates for teens - More mature drivers have been proven to be more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and receive fewer citations.Beginning drivers are statistically shown to be less responsible when driving and because of this, their insurance rates are much higher.
It may be expensive, but it's not optional
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Troy, insuring your vehicle serves several important purposes.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, it's most likely the lender will have a requirement that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle at a more expensive rate and require you to fork over a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having auto insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially with large liability claims. According to a recent study, the average American driver is overpaying more than $855 a year so you should quote rates at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Frequent quotes can save
There are still a few companies who may not offer online price quotes and these small insurance companies work with local independent agents. Budget-conscious car insurance is attainable online and from local agencies, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
We just covered some good ideas how you can get a better price on car insurance in Troy. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get premium rates for, the better likelihood of getting low cost Troy auto insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest auto insurance rates come from a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. Smaller companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
When buying insurance coverage, never buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
More information is available below:
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for a Company Car in Ohio? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Lakewood, Ohio? (FAQ)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)