Did budget coverage turn out to be an overpriced insurance policy? Say no more because many Columbus drivers feel the same as you.
Remarkably, a study showed that a large majority of consumers kept their policy with the same company for at least four years, and nearly the majority have never compared insurance rates at all. Ohio drivers could save $729 every year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don't believe the large savings they would see if they changed companies.
Drivers have so many insurers to choose from, and although it's nice to have a selection, it makes it harder to compare rates.
Quoting more affordable coverage in Columbus is easy if you know what you're doing. Virtually every driver who carries insurance will probably get better rates. Although Ohio vehicle owners must understand how companies sell insurance online and use it to your advantage.
Car insurance companies in Columbus
The following companies are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Columbus, OH. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Regular Cab 2WD||$670||$335||$56|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab ST 2WD||$814||$407||$68|
|Ford Edge SE AWD||$528||$264||$44|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$644||$322||$54|
|Ford F-150 XLT Regular Cab 2WD||$718||$359||$60|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$664||$332||$55|
|Ford Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$690||$345||$58|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$678||$339||$57|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$732||$366||$61|
|Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,182||$591||$99|
|Honda Odyssey EX||$702||$351||$59|
|Kia Optima EX||$604||$302||$50|
|Mazda 3 I Touring 4-Dr Sedan||$746||$373||$62|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$730||$365||$61|
|Nissan Rogue S AWD||$932||$466||$78|
|Toyota Camry LE||$668||$334||$56|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$738||$369||$62|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, and claim-free. Information does not factor in zip code location which can raise or lower coverage rates greatly.
How careless driving impacts car insurance rates
The information below demonstrates how traffic citations and accidents can raise Honda Pilot insurance costs for each age group. The premiums are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Honda Pilot rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Slash your car insurance rates with discounts
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but companies offer discounts to reduce the price significantly. Many discounts should be triggered at quote time, but less common discounts must be manually applied before they will apply.
- Distant Student - College-age children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Columbus and won't have access to an insured vehicle could qualify for this discount.
- Theft Deterrent System - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices have a lower chance of being stolen and will save you 10% or more.
- Clubs and Organizations - Affiliation with a qualifying organization could trigger savings on your next car insurance statement.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Taking a defensive driver class is a good idea and can lower rates and make you a better driver.
- Multi-car Discount - Buying a policy with primary and secondary vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Good Student - Being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Buy New and Save - Putting car insurance coverage on a new car can be considerably cheaper since new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Claim-Free Discount - Good drivers with no accidents get the best car insurance rates in comparison to accident-prone drivers.
One last thing about discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So when the math indicates all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn't make money that way.
Large car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts include:
- GEICO offers discounts including five-year accident-free, military active duty, seat belt use, membership and employees, daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes, and emergency military deployment.
- USAA may offer discounts for loyalty savings, safe driver, multi-policy, vehicle storage, family discount, new vehicle, and defensive driver.
- Progressive may have discounts that include homeowner, multi-policy, online signing, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- American Family has discounts for defensive driver, multi-vehicle, accident-free, mySafetyValet, and TimeAway discount.
- Esurance includes discounts for good driver, renters, emergency road assistance, safety device, and paid-in-full.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include teen driver, business and professional, early shopping, multi-car, good student, alternative fuel, and switch companies.
- State Farm has savings for multiple policy, safe vehicle, student away at school, driver's education, defensive driving training, and anti-theft.
Before you buy a policy, ask every insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Some discounts listed above may not be offered in Columbus. To choose insurance companies who offer free car insurance quotes in Columbus, follow this link.
How your Columbus prices are determined
A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing some of the things that come into play when calculating the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what controls the rates you pay, this enables informed choices that could help you find better car insurance rates. Many factors are part of the calculation when quoting car insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, although others are more transparent such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating.
Shown below are a few of the things used by companies to determine your rates.
Performance affects insurance prices - The make and model of the car or truck you need to insure makes a big difference in your rates. Small economy passenger models normally have pretty low rates, but that's not the only thing that factors into the final price.
Careless driving leads to higher prices - Even a single moving violation could increase your next policy renewal to the point where it's not affordable. Careful drivers get better prices than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers with multiple tickets such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find that they have to to prove financial responsibility with their state's department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive.
Rate your vehicle for proper use - The more you drive your car each year the higher the price you pay to insure it. A lot of insurance companies rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Vehicles that have low annual miles receive lower rates than those used for commuting. Verify your car insurance declarations sheet is rated on how each vehicle is driven.
Vehicle features impact rates - Purchasing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help lower your premiums. Advanced theft deterrents such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack can thwart auto theft.
When should I contact an insurance agency?
Some people still like to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that can be a smart move A nice benefit of comparing auto insurance online is that you can find the best rates and also buy local. Buying from and supporting local agents is especially important in Columbus.
Upon completion of this short form, your coverage information is submitted to insurance agents in Columbus who will give you bids for your auto insurance coverage. You don't have to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. You can find better rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you need to get a comparison quote for a specific company, you would need to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
When finding a reliable agent, it's helpful to know the types of insurance agents and how they operate. Agents can be described as either exclusive or independent.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents often have many company appointments so they can write business with multiple insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If prices rise, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don't have to find a new agent.
If you are comparing auto insurance prices, you absolutely need to include rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Featured below is a small list of independent insurance agents in Columbus that may be able to give comparison quotes.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
These type of agents work for only one company and some examples include AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. These agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agencies in Columbus that are able to give rate quotes.
Finding the right car insurance agent should depend on more than just the quoted price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Will one accident increase rates?
- How long has the business existed?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
If you receive good responses to all your questions and an acceptable price quote, most likely you have located an insurance agency that meets your needs to properly insure your vehicles. But keep in mind you are able to cancel your coverage when you choose so don't think you're contractually obligated to your new company with no way to switch.
Quote. Compare. Save.
Some insurance companies may not have rates over the internet and usually these small insurance companies work with independent insurance agents. More affordable car insurance in Columbus is available on the web and with local Columbus insurance agents, so you need to compare both to get a complete price analysis.
We've covered many tips how you can find cheaper coverage online. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding cheap Columbus auto insurance quotes. You may even find the most savings is with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. Regional companies often have lower prices on specific markets as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
When getting Columbus auto insurance quotes online, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, someone dropped collision coverage only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The aim is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price and still be able to protect your assets.
Much more information about car insurance in Ohio can be found on the following sites:
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Ohio Auto Insurance Quotes After a Speeding Ticket? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Car Insurance in Cuyahoga Falls, OH? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Cincinnati, Ohio? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Corolla in Ohio? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 70 in Ohio? (FAQ)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)