Searching for cheaper insurance for a new or used car in Ohio can be difficult, but you can follow the following methods to find lower rates.
There is a right way and a wrong way to compare auto insurance rates so we're going to tell you the quickest way to quote coverages on a and locate the lowest possible price.
Why you might pay higher rates in Mentor
Lots of things are used when pricing auto insurance. Most are fairly basic such as your driving history, but some are less obvious such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
Vehicles with better crash test results means cheaper prices - Safe vehicles can get you lower premiums. These vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and any reduction in injury severity translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and cheaper rates on your policy. If your car scored better than four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org it may be receiving lower rates.
Certain jobs raise rates - Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Jobs like real estate brokers, architects and miners generally pay higher premium rates because of job stress and lengthy work days. Conversely, jobs such as professors, historians and performers have lower than average premiums.
Lower coverage deductibles cost more - Deductibles for physical damage state the amount of money the insured will be required to pay if you file a covered claim. Physical damage protection, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are a windshield broken by a bird, collision with a deer, and damage caused by road hazards. The more damage repair cost you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
Bundling policies can get discounts - The majority of car insurance companies provide discounts to policyholders that have more than one policy. It's known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to as much as ten percent or more Even if you already get this discount, it's in your best interest to compare rates to ensure the best deal. You may still save even more than the discount by buying insurance from more than one company.
Gender impacts premiums - Statistics show that females tend to be a little less risky than males. This data doesn't prove that men are WORSE drivers than women. Women and men cause accidents in similar percentages, but men have costlier accidents. Not only are claims higher, but men receive more costly citations like driving under the influence (DUI).
Insurance is expensive for teen drivers - Older insureds have been proven to be more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents, and are generally more financially stable.Teenage drivers have been known to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
How to get the cheapest insurance in Mentor, Ohio
Many insurance companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive allow you to get pricing on their websites. Doing online quotes is fairly straightforward because it's just a matter of typing in your coverage information as requested by the quote form. After you submit the form the system makes automated requests for your driving and credit reports and returns pricing information based on the data you entered.
Using the web to get rate quotes makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it's very important to have as many quotes as possible in order to find affordable insurance pricing.
To use this form to compare rates, compare quotes from the companies shown below. If you have coverage now, it's recommended you replicate deductibles and limits identical to your current policy. Doing this assures you're receiving rate comparison quotes using the same coverage and limits.
The companies in the list below provide price comparisons in Ohio. If several companies are displayed, it's a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to get the lowest price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$610||$305||$51|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$874||$437||$73|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 2WD||$842||$421||$70|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$564||$282||$47|
|Ford Explorer Limited AWD||$730||$365||$61|
|Ford F-150 XL Crew Cab 2WD||$908||$454||$76|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$516||$258||$43|
|Honda Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$674||$337||$56|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$748||$374||$62|
|Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$884||$442||$74|
|Hyundai Sonata Limited 4-Dr Sedan||$714||$357||$60|
|Mazda 3 S Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$822||$411||$69|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$688||$344||$57|
|Toyota Camry LE||$714||$357||$60|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$828||$414||$69|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 2.5 Station Wagon||$594||$297||$50|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Rate quotes do not factor in vehicle location which can influence coverage rates considerably.
Impact of speeding/accidents on car insurance rates
The chart below shows how speeding tickets and at-fault collisions can influence Ford Focus insurance rates for different categories of driver ages. The premium estimates are based on a single female driver, full coverage, $250 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Ford Focus rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
The largest companies are not always cheapest
Ohio drivers can't get away from all the ads for cheaper car insurance by companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. All the companies seem to make the promise that drivers will save a bundle just by switching your coverage.
How do they all claim to save you money? It's all in how they say it.
Companies offer their best rates for the type of driver that will be a good risk. A good example of this type of insured could be over the age of 35, has never had a claim, and the vehicle is rated for pleasure use. A customer that hits that "sweet spot" gets the lowest rates and therefore will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Drivers who fall short of those standards must pay a higher rate with the end result being the driver buying from a lower-cost company. If you listen closely, the ads state "drivers that switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" save money. That is how companies can truthfully make those claims.
This emphasizes why it is so important to compare many company's prices. It's just too difficult to predict the company that will have the lowest car insurance in Mentor.
Choosing vehicle insurance is an important decision
Even though rates can get expensive, buying car insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability in order to be legal. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, almost every bank will force you to have physical damage coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you default on your policy, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your vehicle for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Car insurance preserves both your car and your personal assets. Insurance will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying car insurance outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. An average driver in America overpays as much as $820 a year so you should quote rates at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Car insurance policy discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don't necessarily list the entire discount list in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list some of the best known and the harder-to-find car insurance savings. If you aren't receiving every discount you deserve, you may be paying too high a price.
- Multiple Vehicles - Buying insurance for multiple cars or trucks on a single policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Memberships - Belonging to specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations can get you a small discount on your bill.
- Good Student Discount - Being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply up to age 25.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Select insurance companies reward you with a small discount if you purchase some life insurance too.
- ABS Braking Discount - Vehicles that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can stop better under adverse conditions and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Policy Bundle Discount - When you have multiple policies and insure them both with the same insurance company you may earn at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Student in College - Children who are attending college and do not take a car to college may qualify for this discount.
- Senior Citizens - Older drivers could receive better car insurance rates.
- Low Mileage - Driving fewer miles can earn cheaper car insurance rates.
- Telematics Discount - Drivers who elect to allow driving data collection to spy on driving patterns by using a telematic data system such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system could see a rate decrease if they have good driving habits.
Policy discounts save money, but some credits don't apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn't work that way.
Insurance companies who might offer some of the above discounts may include but are not limited to:
When quoting, ask every company to apply every possible discount. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be offered on policies in Mentor. If you would like to see a list of insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Ohio, click here to view.
Compare. Compare. Compare.
We covered a lot of techniques to find cheaper coverage online. It's most important to understand that the more you quote Mentor car insurance, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest priced car insurance comes from a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
While you're price shopping online, it's very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed collision coverage only to discover later that they should have had better coverage. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
Cheaper car insurance in Mentor can be sourced from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers do not provide online quoting and usually these small, regional companies sell through local independent agencies.
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Car Insurance in Elyria, Ohio? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Felons in Ohio? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Rogue in Ohio? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)